Thursday, October 8, 2009

Marathon Recap

Recap is an odd word to describe a 26.2 mile run that takes hours. But I've been putting this blog post off since Sunday - and it's time to recap my marathon run.

The three of us started together after having waited in the Metrodome for about an hour. The weather was crisp, but we had our sweatshirts on. We were excited and anxious - ready to get the run underway. Cis and I were even doing the "Single Ladies" dance. (I can't remember the new words we put to the music, but it was hilarious, trust me!)

But we were ready. We were with the 4:30 pace group and were mentally ready. The gun sounded and we were off - walking for about 3 minutes - then running. The woman leading the pace group was off - way too fast. Cis was off like a shot too - that was the last time we saw her until we finally finished.

Sarah and I stuck together. At the one and two mile marks, we were ahead of what the pace group should have been - so we slowed. At the 2 mile mark, we passed the famous tuba player - Judge (and ND grad) Alan Page. That was the first of many fun and memorable sights.

Sarah and I were doing pretty good. At 10 miles we started the walk run. We also walked through the water stops - which were pretty chaotic at the early stops as we were among more runners. I sure appreciated the volunteers!

So we were doing ok. We were just 10 minutes behind our 20 mile pace from the White Bear Run. It was that last 6 miles that was the hardest. Our bodies just started to give out on us. I gained a new injury - a tender right knee. But we knew we would finish - and we did, after 5 hours and 22 minutes.

We stopped twice to use the porta potties. It was as we started running again after those stops that I felt cold again. It was surely a chilly morning. Spectators were bundled up - as we ran in shorts and short sleeved tops.

Tony was able to get everyone to 2 points on the route - around mile 9 and mile 19 - to cheer us on. Boy it was fun watching for the family - and to see eveyone excited to see us! Tony got some nice pictures. When I saw Madden at the 19 mile mark, I gave her a big hug. I was starting to get pretty emotional.

Sarah and I ran the last mile without taking any walk breaks. As we rounded cathedral hill, we could see the finish line down the hill and we kept pushing. My emotions started to get the best of me and I started to cry. I could hardly believe I'd made it - the finish line was in sight!

As we crossed the finish line, I couldn't believe it! We did it! Knee pain and all - I finished the marathon after a summer of running and training. I'm still on a high and very proud of my accomplishment.

I'll blog in a few day about my lessons learned. But for now, I've decided I will most likely run a marathon again - but not for a few years :)

No comments:

Post a Comment