Monday, October 19, 2009

Marathon Lessons Learned Part 2: Changes Next Time

As a follow up to Part 1 of this post about what went right in my marathon training, I'd like to also talk about what I would do differently when I train for my next marathon or half marathon.

I would:

-- Follow a formal training plan, down to the detail. This would mean running speed and tempo runs.

-- Time myself on speed runs to hit specific targets throughout training.

-- Log more weekly mileage. Increase mileage by 10 percent a week and try to hit 35-40 miles a week at peak.

-- Run even more of the marathon route in training (think of all the unexpected hills on Minnehaha Parkway!)

-- Eat better. Don't diet, but don't eat whatever I want to either. Balance energy needs with more healthy choices and vitamin supplements.

-- Loose weight early in training (10 pounds or so) before training gets too intense. Research shows that lower weight can improve race times.

-- GET MORE SLEEP!!

-- Truly recover during recovery weeks, including sleep.

-- Focus more on core body strength consistently. Build it during off season.

-- Stretch more before and after workout.

What all this means is - I WILL run another marathon in a few years, and I'll be all the smarter for what I experienced this summer. Each summer, I plan to run one to two half marathons so I'll be able to put all my lessons learned into practice very soon. In fact, a lot of these lessons are applicable all the time, marathon training or not. It's about healthy living and staying in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment